Sunday, July 31, 2011

Trouble already...

Ok. So that first idea for the new layout was a bit of a bust. I have decided that if I am going to run a full loop on here, I will need at least a 22" turn radius. The only problem with that is that really cuts down on how much straight mainline I can fit into this thing. If I build a layout with a complete oval, I will only be able to realistically fit a loco and up to 7 cars behind it on the line and an even shorter train on the "staging" track in back of this new design:


My only other choice for an interesting HO layout in the available room would be to do a 28"x12' shelf switching plan. I really want to have an oval, but I suppose it's not entirely required. I would just like to be able to cut my locos loose and let them run every now and then. I have been told that I can just get my kicks with continual running by going to the museum and volunteering a lot more, but I can't always do that. I suppose I will look at some switching plans and see what I can come up with. Who knows? Worst case scenario I will just have to wait and build a new layout in a few years. Oh no! Build a new layout?!?! Oh, the torture! ;) (sarcasm cannot achieve its full effect over the internet, but you get the idea lol)


If I do decide to build the layout on the plan above, this is a rough render of what my rooms layout will look like with both layouts in there:


The green box is where the HO scale layout will go, the red box represents my N scale layout, the blue is my desk, and the purple box will be my little wire shelving unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment