Sunday, July 24, 2011

A new dawn on the WyCo Western....

I have recently began to volunteer at the Greeley Freight Station Museum and ran some trains on their 5,500 sq. ft. layout. It was incredible!! The experience made me hungry for more and has made me even more anxious to get back to work on my home monstrosity. So far I have only made a few changes, so no update pics or video yet. However, the big change that I feel is worth noting is that I have gotten some HO scale equipment in a trade and will be building an HO layout in my train room. This one will follow in the original N scale WyCo Western's footsteps in that it will be set in a rural Wyoming setting and will have a few rural structures and some switching possibilities as well as a continual loop track. I am concerned that it won't leave much room to move in there (only about a 2 foot alley) and am considering making the layout a 2x8 switching layout only. I am not thrilled with that, but will if I have to. Here is the track plan for my HO layout so far. I am going to be going over it very carefully and will be trying to perfect the plan before the construction phase to minimize room and maximize enjoyment.

2 comments:

  1. As a former Wyoming resident, I can assure you that 99% of the state is quite rural (LOL). Seriously, I visited the Greeley museum back in 2005, and I was way impressed with the layout then. That and the fact that this place even has a full-size caboose displayed INSIDE the building. As far as modeling the Cowboy State, I had a wild hair at one point to model the UP's Encampment Branch to Saratoga circa the mid-60s (I lived there as a kid dorung that time) when the sawmill was booming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob! Thanks for stopping in to visit! I am a former Wyoming resident as well (born in Gillette) and have family all over the state. I would love to have some structures like a COOP and such with some scenery like one would see out by Burns, Pine Bluffs, and Hillsdale. I love that area and I used to spend my summers in Hillsdale standing on my grandparents fence watching trains go by. I would always count the locos and cars then run in and tell them all about it. I miss those days..... /sigh

    ReplyDelete